Over the weekend on my project kick I decided to do a makeover to the much needed black ugly candlesticks that were on my living room table. They were being used as decor in our living room, which the color scheme is neutrals - browns, tans, light green accent. These black candlesticks just didn't go.
First things first, these needed to be painted...plain and crisp white!
I used a white matte spray paint, which took several coats, and covered it with a clear glaze to give them a nice shine.
Now it was time to decide WHAT to put on top of these candle sticks. There were three small round light green candles that sat on them before...they were old, never used, and just looked grungy. GOODBYE CANDLES.
I wanted to do something clean and natural looking - the pottery barn decor magazine I had just looked at popped into my head and I knew what I wanted to do. I wanted to decorate sytrofoam balls with fabric, ribbon, and burlap.
I started off making two of the three balls with the following materials...I still wasn't sure what to do for the last so I waited until the first two were done. The lace ribbon was for one and the tan fabric was for the other.
I cut both types of lace into the following size strips.
For the white longer lace, I started with one end and rolled it into a flower shape while gluing sections to the bottom as I went along.
|as you move around the lace, bunch and glue to the bottom as you go|
|a nice little white flower|
I followed the same technique with the larger yellow lace. I first folded it it half horizontally, then with the open ends facing up I bunched and glued.
I made about 6-8 flowers out of each color of lace and then attached them to the ball. I did this in groups so I would only cut as much lace as was needed.
Finished ball #1!
For the second ball, I used a quarter of fabric that I had gotten from Joann's. I cut the quarter into half and then half one more time (4 sections). I folded each section into smaller squares - about 12-16 out of each section. They don't all have to be the same size.
This was super easy and fast...take a square and push your finger in the center. Put a small tab of glue onto the ball and push the center onto the glue. Repeat with all the squares making sure they fit up against one another not to leave any sytrofoam showing.
Ball #2 is complete!
Simple yet fabulous!
After some thinking I decided to cover the last styrofoam ball in burlap rosettes. I had just a few strands of burlap left over from a previous project so the scraps would work perfectly for this.
To make a rosette, follow this fabulous tutorial. You cut your fabric into long thin strips then glue and twist your way around as you form a rosette flower.
Ball #3 is finished!
Now put the fabric balls on top of the candlesticks and you have a beautiful new decoration!